Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kill Yr Idols

Besides being an incredibly long title, The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford is also a pretty awesome movie.

Long title, long movie.

True, it's pretty damn long but it's worth it. I loved the glacial pace and the slow burn of the drama. It added to the intensity of the film. I can't quite out my finger on why but this film deeply affected me. The morality of it all was so muddy and complicated and the overall tale of a young upstart who finally meets and destroys his idol was utterly fascinating. Also, Brad Pitt rocked my world as an unhinged Jesse James, filling the screen with his menace and cold stares. His unpredictable portrayal of the famed robber had me as jumpy and on edge as any masked horror movie villain. Like a caged animal, he seemed ready to pounce at any moment. He should win an honorary NRA award for the scene where he was sleeping with his gun in his hand. If there's one thing you don't want to do, it's creep around at night next to a light sleeper with an itchy trigger finger.

His blue eyes, which at times can be inviting swimming pools were like icy cold steel bullets in this film. Terrifying. And I've said it before but I'll say it again, I'm in love with Casey Affleck. When will the Academy get off their collective duff and honor this man properly? His subtle changes in facial expression and broad range in this film carried me through what could have been a total snoozefest. I give it a 6.

I was captivated throughout but I saw you nodding off at times or looking around the room for the nearest escape route. Even if the story was a bit slow here or there, didn't you just love looking at this movie? The colors and set design were lovely and I was blown away by the insanely beautiful cinematography.

They could have titled it "An Endless Parade of Images of Wheat."

There weren't that many shots of wheat.

It was like watching an Andrew Wyeth painting come to life.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I have a feeling you could watch paint dry and find something positive to say.

I wouldn't rule it out.

No comments: