Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Mouthful of Blood To Celebrate Our Independence

28 Weeks Later

A squandered opportunity for more speedy zombie wonderfulness. I really enjoyed 28 Days Later, especially the first half hour featuring a post apocalyptic London, but this terrible sequel was a hot mess. The gritty, washed out handheld shots of zombie attacks at the beginning were great and reminded me of Saving Private Ryan if it had been directed by George Romero as an episode of Homicide but the rest was absolutely worthless and unbelievable. Well, as unbelievable as a movie about a zombie infestation could really be. What did you think wheel?

3 - Tedious Boredom.

Yeah, I think I agree fully with that review. How many mouthfuls of blood do I need to see before I go from entertained to disgusted to bored? Plus, the Godspeed You Black Emperor ripoff music on the soundtrack just pointed out how wide the chasm was between the first movie and this horrendous follow-up. Even Stringer Bell couldn't elevate this movie beyond shlock horror nonsense.

And why did they make him use an American accent even though this movie was set in Britain?

I think it was because he was an American soldier brought in to restore order to the British populace. Maybe their armed forces had all been zombietized and they needed reinforcements. Maybe they wanted him to bring some of his street tactics to the quarantined area and let him shows those zombies things what's what.

Well, he certainly wasted no time in green lighting the mowing down of hundreds of innocent civilians. That scene was horribly disturbing, even for a wheel.

That's how they do it in the streets, though. If you're in the way you become collateral damage. These innocents shouldn't be coming to West Baltimore if they don't want to get shot, you know what I'm sayin'?

This was not filmed or set in Baltimore and that man's name is not Stringer Bell. I think you're confusing pop culture with real life again.

Irregardless, this was a terrible movie that made me hate America. Happy Fourth everyone.

5 comments:

Listmaker said...

i didn't love it but i think i liked it a bit more than you did.

http://listmakeratthemovies.blogspot.com/2008/01/28-weeks-later.html

jamie said...

i know i shouldn't enjoy the fact that a close relative is arguing with a board game for all the world to see, but this is some fun stuff so keep it up.

shawn said...

you are definitely a wackadoo. i love it. by the way, we have hijacked our neighbor's netflix account for the next two and a half weeks. i need to get my fill of super obscure movies. maybe the wheel can throw me a title or two.

Crispin H. Glover said...

Of what i've seen lately, i'd recommend patton oswalt, murder by death and gerry. the wheel really liked let's scare jessica to death but it's crazy.

Silvio said...

I'm not sure what to make of your use of "irregardless". I think I'll give it a ... Confused Wonderment.