Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Jason Bourne Takes a Hike

I have spoken at length before about Matt Damon, how much I love him and how shocking this is to me. He pals around with that Ben Affleck lunkhead who, other than his awesome SNL stints, is mostly useless. Matt Damon is such a better actor and makes much more interesting choices, like the confusing and awesome Gerry.

And the Bourne films.

Well, yes, of course the Bourne films are awesome but they're the kind of thing Ben Affleck would choose, and louse up, if given the chance so they're not really a good example of an unusual movie choice for an actor at Matt Damon's fame level.

Yeah, but did you see that third one? When he jumped through that window? Amazing!

Agreed, but again, I feel that you're not doing anything to help my argument. Matt Damon as a closeted homosexual murdering people in The Talented Mr. Ripley is more of what I'm getting at.

A bit of a snore but not bad. I prefer when he's beating people up with his bare hands.

So you must not have liked Gerry, then.

No, I spun a 7 - Warm Affection, which kind of shocked me but there you have it.

That's how I feel towards this film. It's the kind of movie I feel the need to defend even before people have seen it and have a chance to ridicule it for it's long, aimless shots of two guys wandering through the desert. It's a bit of a slog but I came to love it in the end. At first, I really didn't know what to make of Gerry. Two guys venture out on a hike to see some nameless thing and end up lost and getting loster as the movie continues. That's about it. They have vapid conversations, try desperately to get back on the path and end up about as lost as you can be in the midst of a bleached landscape. Are we supposed to be rooting for these guys, laughing at them, seeing ourselves in their plight? I'm not sure really but once they started talking about jumping from a great height onto a 2-inch "dirt mattress" certain it would break their fall, I realised that they weren't seasoned hikers and disaster was lurking nearby.

What did you think about the drawn out scenes of them shuffling along dusty paths? Mind numbing or mind blowing?

I found them hypnotic and amazing. It was like a challenge just to sit through some of the shots but I love slow, nearly plotless films and it adds to the endless madness they must have been suffering. What did you think?

I had no problems with it. I have a bit of a crush on Casey Affleck so I could have watched an entire movie of him sweating in the desert and talking about Wheel of Fortune.

Agreed. He seems to have gotten the talent in the Affleck clan while Ben only got the fame.

True, but Ben did get to play the Phantom which, while not a great movie by any standards, did feature lots of punching.

Good point.

3 comments:

Listmaker said...

i have nothing but fond memories of this movie. i should see it again.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about Casey Affleck, he's a terrific actor. Have you seen "Gone Baby Gone"? I loved this movie that stars Casey but it was directed by brother Ben so I have to give him some kudos for a job well done, too. It's an awesome movie.

Mom

Crispin H. Glover said...

I did see Gone Baby Gone and that's where my infatuation began. The movie was awesome, wicked awesome, and so much better than i imagined it would be.