Monday, June 29, 2009

Let the Spinning Begin

I've been told on several occasions by several people that my movie opinions make no sense. Actually, people have often commented that my reviews of all forms of pop culture make no sense and seem to follow no set series of rules and sway aimlessly in the wind as if my opinions were simply decided by the toss of a dart of the spin of a wheel. "To the contrary!" I shout. My opinions all have deeply grounded reasons that prop up either my unhealthy love or inappropriate hatred for whatever has entered my cultural microscope. This blog will be the place where I spill my secrets like unwanted seed upon the desert floor.

When my radio show came to an end a few months ago, I found myself with a lot more free time. Add to that the doldrums of rerun television (save Wipeout!) and Hott Mama and I decided to rejoin Netflix after a short trial period 2 years ago. I had initially been against the ubiquitous movie-by-mail giant. What about the local video store that I love so much? They have a great selection and free popcorn plus a knowledgeable staff of nerds and freaks - I can't turn my back on them. Fast forward to the recent past where the store has lost the workers I adored and I often found myself walking aimlessly, shuffling zombie-like for hours on end only to return home with terrible choices made in haste when I realised how much time had been wasted wandering the aisles and I had to admit to myself the bloom was off the local movie house rose. Plus, Netflix has this new watch instantly option and it's not simply filled with shitty C-grade comedies like the stuff you find on Hulu. Johnny Appleweed, anyone? Just a few months ago I couldn't pick a movie to save my life but now I'm up to my armpits in quality films (mostly). I've been working through the ever-growing queue for a little over a month now so let's start over analyzing the world of the home cinema and let's spin the wheel.

1 comment:

Listmaker said...

awesome! i can't wait.