Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I've Got a Tape I Want To Play For You

I've come a little late the Stop Making Sense party but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it as much as someone who's been in the know for the past 25 years. In 1984 when this film debuted I, like much of the country, found myself entranced by the "Burning Down the House" video and the giant, projected David Byrne head on the highway. I probably had some fleeting knowledge of the big suit made famous in this movie. I had no idea that this work of genius would completely blow my mind shortly after my 32nd birthday.

There were numerous scenes in this amazing piece of magic that made me want to jump out of my skin I loved them so much. I can't remember the last time I had such a visceral reaction to a movie. How did I not know how awesome this movie was? I figured it was a typical concert film and had it on my radar for years but never had any great desire to watch it. From the moment you see David Byrne's shadow advance towards the stage I was captivated and when he approached the microphone to gently state the quote that I used to title this entry, I was all in.

Enough of my blabbing, let's see what the wheel says: (whizzzzzzzz) 6 - Mild Enjoyment

Noooo! This is a solid 10. A perfect movie from beginning to end. The way the crew slowly build up the stage behind the musicians as the show continues. The jogging in place and spastic dancing and sheer manic energy displayed by almost everyone on stage. The many fantastic hairdos that David Byrne has throughout. Mild Enjoyment. What about the sort of crazed, caged animal look in David Byrne's eyes half the time balanced with the elated, open mouthed singing he does, belting out such amazing songs as "Naive Melody (This Must be the Place)" and "Crosseyed and Painless"? The dance he does with the lamp? The way he seems to be at once orchestrating everything and also somehow a naive childlike figure encountering this all for the first time? The shock of seeing him so young, so vibrant, so full of life?

Yeah, but what about the Tom Tom Club segment? It was a fine intermission and let Tina Weymouth showcase both her lovely singing voice and her wonderful dance moves. Yeah, but Chris Frantz? True, he's better off not near the microphone but it was brief and it allowed David to change into the big suit for the final set of the film. This movie made me realise how awesome Talking Heads were and are and how odd it was for a bunch of art school freaks to hit the pop charts and sell out huge auditoriums but that was the 80s I guess. The joy on stage is impossible to ignore and I can think of few other films as consistently fun as Stop Making Sense. This trailer for the film touches on all the highlights and makes me want to watch it again right now.



Mild Enjoyment. Hmmph.

No comments: