Monday, December 21, 2009

I Don't Believe You (He Acts Like We Have Never Met)

I typically know something about the movies I watch. Sometimes it's a film based on a book I've read so there are few surprises and other times I've simply read the brief synopsis provided by Netflix and I at least have a small idea of what I'm getting myself into. With He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not I had no clue what to expect and it was all the better for it. It was a lazy night, Hott Mama suggested a sweet, little Audrey Tatou vehicle and I half heartedly said "sure" before we launched the instant viewing screen and ended up with a completely unexpected experience. The less said about it the better but I highly recommend it for anyone turned off by cookie cutter romance films.

I give it a 3. Thwarted expectations can be satisfying but not when you're hoping for another Amelie. Where were the fantastical flights of fancy? Where was the magic? Where was the crushing love and celebration of all that is good and pure in the world? When I'm promised a manic pixie dream girl movie I expect a payoff, dammit!

I thought there was an amazing payoff in this movie. We both almost turned it off after 20 minutes or so but it was right around that part the movie became supremely interesting. This is one of those movies that takes a clever premise and really capitalizes on it, similar to the way Memento did. I can't recommend it enough for anyone looking for a fun, unique film but trust me, go into it blind.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I think we should tell anyone reading this the full plot so they can save themselves a wasted hour and a half and get on with their lives. Don't get your hopes up as I did, you'll only be guaranteed a severe disappointment. I fell asleep during part of it and when I awoke, I swear it was still the same scene. If you're looking for a unique viewing experience, try watching Amelie without the subtitles but do not bother with this nonsense.

1 comment:

Hott Mama said...

Stupid wheel.
Well worth the first half hour. It's a goodie.