Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cancel My Plans To Live In the Middle of Nowhere

The Strangers was an insanely intense experience. There are few things more terrifying to me than home invasion and this movie takes the feeling of terror felt during the brilliant opening of When a Stranger Calls Back and extends it for an entire 85 minutes.

Pure genius. This maniac director really knows how to pile on the scary. Most horror movies give you a scene or two of calm before hitting you in the face again with a shovel or large kitchen knife but there's none of that easygoing nonsense in The Strangers and that is brilliant.

I'm pretty sure my heart was pounding throughout the movie even during the relatively harmless prologue just knowing that we were in for some bad times ahead. If you want a horror-induced stomachache this film is for you, although I could see some people hating it.

Who?

I don't know. The same idiots who hated The Blair Witch Project. "You never saw the witch! It wasn't scary at all."

But that's not the issue here. You get to see the scary masks over and over again and they are never not disconcerting. Just look at that thing over there to the left. It's a fright!

Agreed, but some people might want to see Scott Speedman take an axe to the head.

True but if you find yourself rooting against Liv Tyler you have no heart.

I think people hate her too. At least certain people.

But she was Arwen Evenstar!

You're not helping your cause.

But what a screamer. My god! This movie gets a 10 just for her screams.

She was pretty convincing. I gave myself over to this movie completely and suspended all disbelief, succumbing to the desire to have my pants scared off of me. The opening shots set the tone wonderfully and I loved every minute from beginning to end even going so far as to watch it again from the start when the Netflix DVD we had suffered a meltdown 20 minutes in (just when the terror kicked into full gear) and we ended up having to get a new one. What do people do with their DVDs?

They use them as drink coasters, label side down and as cutting boards when using Exacto knives. It's shameful really.

Agreed. People are the worst. Anyone who treats DVDs this way deserves to be harassed and terrorized by masked invaders. It's really the only fair punishment.

No doubt. And I'm out.

7 comments:

Listmaker said...

i had never even heard of this movie but i think you've convinced me to see it.

Crispin H. Glover said...

You definitely should. I'd be fascinated to hear you reaction.

Listmaker said...

home invasions scare me though. i'm afraid i won't be able to go to sleep.

Anonymous said...

So what score did you and the wheel give this one?

Mom

Crispin H. Glover said...

the wheel gave it a 10 and i'd probably give it an 8 or 9.

bobparks said...

it sounds too scary for me. I have a fear of just this scenario after reading In Cold Blood. Dick and Perry are always just at bay.

Flapdoodle said...

Plus Bob would be watching it next to me, and I would try ignoring it for awhile, but would eventually start watching against my better judgement and then it's off to never-gonna-sleep land.