Friday, July 31, 2009

Puff, Puff, Puke

Oh Pineapple Express, how you disappointed me. This started off strong but got progressively worse to where I hated it passionately. Actually, let me correct that. It started off kind of annoying with the underground wartime pot experiment nonsense but then grew thick with absurd conversations and stoner humour. I was loving James Franco’s shaggy dog weirdo, especially during his moronic adventure with Seth Rogen overnight in the woods but by the end of this movie I hated it so deeply that I could barely contain my anger. What was with the craptastic second half of this movie? It made me realize why I don’t watch action films. The endless scenes of jumping and shooting and slow mo diving and screaming squandered all the goodwill the silly first half had built up making me shout at the screen and wince every minute that the credits were not rolling. Boo to all that.

I agree fully. A complete waste of time that filled me with animal rage. I give this excrement a big fat 1.

Really? You? I thought you were just praising ‘splosions and the like in your review of Badlands . What gives?

The problem is these weren’t real explosions. It was all done in a distanced, wink-wink manner. They didn’t take it all the way. It was like little boys at play rather than grown men putting all their cards on the table. And the Danny McBride character was a one note that grew increasingly ludicrous and annoying as the film went on. One long, sour note. Also, I hate it when a character’s hairdo is supposed to be a joke in itself. Was his mullet supposed to be so hilarious that it elicited a laugh every time he appeared on screen?

Lame, lame, lame. Whoever edited this flaming pile of poo deserves a Razzie since it was at least 3 hours too long. The only thing that could have made it worse would have been a starring role for Jamie Foxx.

Oooh, now there’s an action star I can get behind.

11 comments:

dustin said...

OK, so the more you review movies on here, the more inclined i am to start my own blog called "whyspinthewheelisbullshit.blogspot.com"

explain to me why i should take anything away from a guy whose top 5 movie list can double as a financial reader on how Michael Eisner became a billionaire. You praise Kanye West, Miley Cyrus, and Britney Spears musical talents, and your favorite candy is circus peanuts. I am constantly reminded what "spin the wheel" really refers to.

On a side note, I'm not so sure you're the intended target audience for this "film." not a fan of action movies, and not too much of a smoking history - kind of an uphill battle, no? Mark me down for a disagree again. This movie is freakin hi-larious. believe that.

Flapdoodle said...

This movie made me fall in love with the fast forward on my netflix instant.

So fucking long. It was a third draft of a script that needed just as many revisions. If you are going to spoof Beverly Hills Cop, fine. But pick a lane and drive, PE.

This big miss was all over the place. Spin the Wheel you are right on the money with this review.

Crispin H. Glover said...

Let the flame wars begin! Dustin, just because I have no smoking history doesn't mean i can't appreciate stoner movies. In fact, I usually love them and that added to my disappointment here - the stoner first half was brilliant and squandered on the laborious and never ending second half. i guess i prefer absurd conversations to gun battles and hand to hand combat involving toilet parts.

Rob said...

Absurdity, yeah that's pretty much what Apatow was going for I think. Absurd conversations and absurd action albeit cheap and probably no better than that of a Walker Texas Ranger episode, but I laughed through every minute. No kidding the explosions weren't real, this was a comedy not The Hurt Locker. What I enjoyed most about it were some of the smaller details, such as Franco's wardrobe or the toy Indian village that was in his bedroom.

dustin said...

Okay, the genius of this movie is this: Stoners = notoriously paranoid, coming up with theories and subsequent plans that to the non-smoker sound ridiculous. In PE, two everyday nobodies who enjoy a liberal amount of marijuana find themselves thrust into extremely intense situations and deal with them the way idiots like you and i would. Their thoughts about how they could be found and what exactly is happening sound crazy, and most of the time would qualify as complete paranoia - but here are somehow almost always spot on. thats the absurdity that shows itself THROUGHOUT the whole movie. when franco comes in with the m16 and yells "F*CK THE PO-LICE!!" the recoil of the gun completely throws him off, and he basically shoots the ceiling and falls over. If anything, this movie is a look into the mind of a stoner raised on action movies, showing what happens when idiots find themselves in scary scenarios. I'm curious, did you also dislike Tropic Thunder?

Crispin H. Glover said...

I like your breakdown, dustin. again, i don't think it's a bad movie, i just think the overlong actiony ending outweighed the sometimes brilliant first half and somewhere along the line i turned on it. i also disliked tropic thunder for some of the same reasons (terrible action, wayyyy to long) and some different reasons (corny jokes, ben stiller, tom cruise in what had to have been to most embarrasingly bad acting job of the year) but i liked the absurd parts and robert downey jr. alot, just not enough to tip this movie over to the "i liked it" side of the scale.

dustin said...

i don't even know you anymore, man.

Listmaker said...

i disliked tropic thunder quite a bit at times.

i liked pineapple express quite a bit at times.

i agree with dustin's take on the 2nd half but i also agree that the 1st half is much more enjoyable than the 2nd. still, i definitely liked this movie quite a bit. any movie with a huey lewis theme song is fabulous in my book.

dustin said...

just noticed this and found it funny:

"again, i don't think it's a bad movie" after a review including this:

"..by the end of this movie I hated it so deeply that I could barely contain my anger"

and

"...making me shout at the screen and wince every minute that the credits were not rolling"

and

"...this flaming pile of poo."

So, sorry, but...um...what?

Crispin H. Glover said...

i don't think the move is bad but i had a nauseating, visceral reaction to it that left me dead inside. the problem is not the movie but me.

jamie said...

i'm late to this party, but Kaci and I just watched this over the weekend. i enjoyed it at about the same level throughout - a level that was one step up from mediocrity. no real big laughs for us, but i didn't hate the action sequences. they were kind of fun to watch and i enjoyed trying to spot the homages/riffs in there. i even kind of liked the bizarre ending in the diner - that may have been my favorite part, actually.